Frequently Asked Questions:
Why rent a Key West yacht vs. a house or hotel?
- Renting a Key West yacht is typically less expensive (less hotel rooms needed).
- You have access to all amenities of The Perry Hotel and Stock Island Marina Village
- Two waterfront swimming pools, poolside and fine dining restaurants, retail, live entertainment, hotel boutique, spa services, and free shuttle service to and from downtown Key West
- There is no one next door or above or below you like a hotel.
- Take in a private day charter for the opportunity to learn to sail, snorkel, fish, swim, and even take in a private 24 hour charter.
How much does it cost to rent or charter a Key West yacht?
- Prices for private day charters, average from $1500 to $3500. Pricing depends on which Key West yacht you select, time of year, and length of your time you’re out on the ocean
- Day Yacht Charter Options: 4 hour excursion, 8 hour excursion, or a 24 hour charter.
- Overnight yacht charters away from the marina average from $1300 to $1900/night. Rates depend on the Key West yacht you select, time of year, and length of your yacht charter. The longer your yacht charter is, the average price per night decreases.
Do I need to know how to operate the yacht or will a captain be provided?
- Blue Ocean Yacht Charters will help find an experienced captain to take you that is familiar with the boat you rent. This charter is called a Demise Bareboat Charter.
- Customers who have the experience and knowledge to operate a yacht on their own also have this option with Blue Ocean Yacht Charters. This charter is called a Bareboat Charter.
What is the cancellation policy? What happens if the weather is bad? Do I get a refund?
Blue Ocean Yacht Charters Cancellation Policy
- A maximum refund of 50% of the total cost of the rental/charter is allowed for cancellations made 90 days or greater from the reservation start date for any reason.
- No refund, for cancellation made for any reason, less than 90 days from check in date, except for security deposit, which is fully refundable in the event of a cancellation. This includes any amounts paid extra for guests of Charterer that cancel for any reason.
Weather Related Cancellations at BOYC Location:
- Day charters and 24 hr charters with other overnights at the marina: Day charter or 24 hr charter is 100% refundable in the event the captain cancels due to bad weather only if there is not an available captain to reschedule to during the reservation period. Charterer will only receive a 50% refund if there is a captain available for another time frame during the reservation period and when Charterer is unable to accommodate the newly rescheduled charter.
- All other charters, if BOYC determines conditions are not favorable and the boat cannot leave the marina:
- Charterer can reschedule any charter and apply the amount paid toward a future charter for up to one year from the canceled check in date if Charterer does not stay on the boat at the marina.
- In the event the Charterer does not want to reschedule, Charterer has the option to spend time on the boat at the marina until weather allows for departure. Charterer would be entitled to a prorated 50% refund for the difference in the value of time spent on the boat at the dock at the marina and the money paid for the entire charter. No refund is given for day charters only due to a weather cancellation.
- If BOYC location falls with-in the cone of any named Hurricane that is projected to make landfall with-in 72 hours of check in. The charterer would be entitled to a 50% refund of the difference of the total amount paid and the rate for the time spent at the dock at the marina on the boat, in the event the Charterer does not reschedule the entire reservation/charter within one year from the date of check in. If Charterer wants to reschedule with-in one year from canceled check-in date, then the full amount paid can be credited to the cost of a future reservation if Charterer does not stay on the boat at the marina.
- BOYC does not offer refunds, credits, or the ability to reschedule for cloudy skies, rain, wind, or any other reason that makes Charterer’s charter less enjoyable.
Virus Or Closure to BOYC Location:
- In the event the BOYC location is closed (Charterer can’t get to the BOYC location) or government mandate does not allow travel of Charterer and all of Charterer’s guests due to a virus or any other reason, Charterer can choose between a 50% refund or apply all monies paid towards a charter anytime in the future.
- No refunds or credits towards future charterers for any other reasons.
BOYC Boat is no longer available for reservation/charter:
- Charterer can choose from a 50% refund or reschedule charter/reservation to a similar yacht anytime in the future.
BOYC Boat is non-operational & not able to leave the marina:
- Charterer can receive a 100% refund for the difference of the rate of the time spent on the boat at the marina or 125% credit towards a future charter in the event Charterer’s boat is not able to leave the marina due to mechanical failure. No refunds for system or parts of the boat not working correctly for any time period during the charter/reservation.
BOYC Boat has mechanical deficiencies:
- No refund if a boat has mechanical or general deficiencies that affect the comfort of the charter and charterer.
It is recommended Charterer purchase Trip/Vacation Protection online from an independent carrier if Charterer thinks there is a chance Charterer would need to cancel reservation at any time.
Where can you go on a yacht charter?
- The possibilities are endless. The time you have and your budget are probably the most limiting factors.
- Day charters to the coral reefs are the most popular. For more information on these charters visit: https://blueoceanyachtcharters.com/yacht-destinations/
- The Dry Tortugas National Park and Fort Jefferson is the most popular bareboat charter. You will need a minimum of 5 nights for this yacht charter. This is a great charter for families with kids. For more information on this charter visit: https://blueoceanyachtcharters.com/yacht-destinations/
- Up the Florida Keys. You will have marinas and anchorages on this charter to get out and have access to land amenities. Miami is a one week charter, one way and best done in two weeks round trip. Scroll to the bottom of this page for more information on Miami: https://blueoceanyachtcharters.com/yacht-destinations/
- Various private, un-inhabited, islands with a minium charter time of 24 hours
- The closest Bahamas Island, such as Nassau, is a minimum of a two week charter.
- Southwest Florida: Marco Island, Naples, Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Florida. This is a one to two week charter and for more experienced boaters.
Which yacht is right for my guests and me?
- Determine your group size and sleeping area needed. The larger your group, the larger the boat you will need. Our largest boat can sleep up to ten. If your group size is larger than ten total people, you have the option of renting two yachts.
- Decide if you want a sailing yacht or a motor yacht without sails. Cost of fuel and the noise element are factors to consider.
- Your budget will usually dictate which yacht you can choose from. The size, style, time of year, and demand will determine your total cost of the yacht rental.
Where do the captain and crew sleep on an overnight yacht charter away from the marina?
- Captain and Crew sleep in the galley or salon on an overnight yacht charter.
- Sometimes they will even sleep in the cockpit of the boat. Some captains will even bring a hammock to sleep on. Other captains prefer there own cabin. We will help find you the right captain for your charter needs.
- Keep in mind you will need to share one bathroom with the captain and crew during the term of your yacht charter.
Are the Key West yachts suitable for kids and young children?
- The age of the children on a yacht rental all depends on how comfortable the parents are. Typically more attention is needed to small children.
- We recommend that children are supervised by an adult at all times during the yacht rental.
- Careful attention should be made when children are on the deck or near waterlines.
- The cockpits on our boats are large and suitable for kids to hang out.
- We highly recommend that all children wear life jackets when the yacht is underway or at sea. It is up to the parent whether their children wear a life jacket when the yacht is tied to the dock at the marina.
- Snorkeling can be challenging for kids that can’t hold their breath and go under water. Kids that are unable to snorkel still can have fun watching fish from the yacht, swimming, jumping off the boat, or fishing.
What can you do on a yacht charter?
- Please visit our Destinations page for more detailed information on what to do on a yacht charter: https://blueoceanyachtcharters.com/yacht-destinations/
- Sail and learn to sail. Learn the functions and parts of the boat.
- Sunset cruise
- Snorkeling of coral reefs and ship wrecks at your own risk.
- Relax and unwind
- Swim and jump off the yacht
- Sea turtle, dolphin, manatees, and other wildlife sightings
- Take in the history of Key West. Key West is the shipwreck capital of the world. Many customers enjoy touring Key West history and landmarks on a day cruise.
- Many customers like to fish. Keep in mind our yachts are not fishing boats and will not have these capabilities. It usually is possible to drop a line while anchored for a fresh dinner.
- Stay overnight at anchor by a private island
What should I bring and what is allowed on my yacht rental in Key West?
- Alcohol is allowed. Please drink responsibly!
- Bring beach towels
- White soled shoes just for walking on the boat with. Shoes on your feet that you walk on the street with are not allowed on our yachts.
- Ocean friendly sun tan lotion. No spray sun tan lotion allowed on our boats! Most sun tan lotions will kill our beautiful coral reefs.
- Bug spray with deet. In low wind conditions Noseeums can come out at dusk for a little while
- Iron if needed.
- Smoking is not allowed on our boats. You can smoke on the docks however.
- Groceries, ice, water, ground coffee for drip machine, coffee filters
- All our yachts have the following:
- Fully furnished kitchens with eatery and cooking essentials
- Appliances: Oven, cook top stove, microwave, refrigerator, freezer, and large cooler.
- Bed linens
- One set of bath towels per stay per adult
- Hair dryers
- Toiletries: Hand soap, body soap, shampoo, and conditioner.
Is there any movement on the Key West yachts?
- There is slight movement at an anchorage at times. Sometimes there is no movement on the yacht while at an anchorage like this.
- If you are prone to sea sickness please visit this article on our site: https://blueoceanyachtcharters.com/eleven-tips-to-prevent-sea-sickness/
- Most of our customers do not develop sea sickness when underway when they follow the instructions in the above article.
What is the weather like in Key West?
- Key West is mostly warm all year round with average highs in the lower 80 degrees and low temperature averages in the lower 70 degrees
- Great for ocean and swimming pool activities year round
- Summer time tends to have more rain that are short lived. Winter is our dry season in Key West, Florida
- Winds are prevailing out of the East.
- Best sailing and weather conditions are in the spring and fall
- Summer time tends to have less wind and winter months tend to be more windy
Can I go to a sandbar or island on a Key West yacht charter?
- Most likely, No
- On an overnight charter, you may be able to get to a sandbar on one of the yacht’s dinghies
- There are some islands that you are not allowed on. Make sure to check with our company or local authorities before walking on an island.
- Make sure not to disrupt the sea grass or plant life that grows on the bottom of the ocean. Sea grass is common near sandy areas.
- It is illegal in Key West to disrupt, or even touch corals and sea grass.
What is average gratuity for captain and crew on a yacht charter in Key West?
- Average gratuity is 20% of the total cost of the charter. Do not tip off of the captain’s fee.
- Tipping our staff while they are at the docks helping you is customary
What is the cost of fuel on a yacht charter in Key West?
- This depends on how much you sail and how much you motor.
- On a sailboat the following is a typical total cost: 2hr: $30, 4hr: $50, 8hr: $75, 24hr: $100, 2 nights: $100-$150 (total for the 2 nights), 3 nights $100-$200, 4 nights $100-$250, 5 or more nights: $100-$300
- Motor yachts can vary
Is it customary to provide food and beverages for the captain & crew on a yacht charter in Key West?
- Yes! It is industry standards for the yacht charter customer to offer and provide food and beverages to the captain and crew.
- Unless you hire a chef or have food catered, you will pay for your own provisions, pick them up or have them delivered, cook your own meals, and cook enough for the captain and crew.
We’re in Florida
Address: 7005 Shrimp Rd Key West, FL 33040
Hours: 7am to 8pm Everyday
Phone: 305-923-4152 Call or text